Monday, March 7, 2011

Cheat Day has left the building....


Went out to dinner with the DBF last night and used 20 of my Weeklies. I would like to lay all the blame at his feet but really, I will own it as I need at some time to really discuss with him the changes I want to make in our choices of restaurants but also realize there are times he just wants junk, beer, sports and me, not necessarily in that order. Last night was one of those times.
We went to a pub and yes they had salads, but they looked as nutritionally sound as the appetizer plates we went with, Mozzarella sticks, potato skins, chicken quesidilla and chicken fingers, added to chicken sliders, and a beer or two to cheer on the team with.
Here is the thing with sports though, if it is not Baseball, preferably The Red Sox, or the Super Bowl, preferably with the Patriots, you have lost me into my own thoughts, with a cute smile and nod in his direction when he seems particularly happy with the game, whatever it may be.
Last night on the heels of hitting 60 pounds gone, and now looking in the window at Onderland, I was thinking about past weight loss's, reaching the goal ( have done that twice) and the subsequent gain back of all and a little more for good measure.
One thing I always did on those other attempts is something I refuse to do now. I had what I called a "Cheat Day" my cheat day typically fell on the day I weighed in, and if that was in the morning I would eat whatever I wanted all day long and into the night until the following day. In the interest of full disclosure, I picked my weight watchers meetings in the morning with this in mind. My food intake would be off the charts, sleeves of cookies, bags of chips, the unit of measure was never 2 or 3 of this, it was usually the form the product was bought in, and of course the Drive thru anything. When I reached my Weight loss goal and I can honestly say I hardly ever stayed at goal and never made Lifetime, the cheat days would start to string together...... and that would be the end of that.
Last night, had it fallen in my past weight loss attempts would have been a perfect night for Cheat Day... but here is the thing, this journey is the rest of my life, and there is no room for Cheat Day in the rest of my life. I can eat whatever I want, but I must count it, own it, acknowledge it, and enjoy it! Enjoy it?
" Enjoy It" is essential I added it in, as I can tell you when I eat just to eat, I hardly remember how much I ate and if I even liked it... that is my emotional eating and mindless eating all wrapped up together. Keeping that in mind while eating last night, I really did not indulge that much, as I do not enjoy the sliders, or the chicken fingers so I skipped them. The cheese sticks,yup, enjoyed them, the skins and the quesidilla, yup...the beer pretty much, but not a lot as was pretty full, another thing that keeps the out of control eating to a minimum. Eating when I am full, not enjoyable.
When we were winding down, DBF said, " Aren't you going to eat anymore?" and " You did not finish your beer; is it ok? " and the answer was " I ate what I wanted and I am full, and the beer is great, but filling, and like I said I am full."
I am not always completely familiar with these new behaviors but I sure do like where they are bringing me! So this week we shall have the talk about what restaurants really do not work for me, and I will start it like this, " You know how you keep telling me how good I look, and how proud you are with me, well here is what I need to do for me, and for us......

No comments:

Post a Comment