Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ginerbread Coffee


Last night I had Chinese food for the first time in months, like six! It was all my points for the week and I thouroughly enjoyed it, until 12 PM when it was sitting like a brick in my belly. It was a planned event and when I discussed it with my sister she tried to convince me to wait and save those points for something better with the holidays coming.
Here is the thing, there is nothing over the holidays I can not have!! I realized that last night, moderation is the key and I have that down,, and a planned night of chinese food reinforced the reasons why I am happy about that. I do not want to eat until I am uncomfortable, I have learned to respect me and my body more than that, it will happen from time to time like last night but certainly not on purpose like before. I would eat until I could eat no more. I tell myself now the last bite does not taste any better than the first, quite the contrary when I was eating just to eat or numb my feelings, I did not even taste the bites after the first three. Woo Hoo! What a Victory for me!
Now a holiday food that can get me in trouble is Egg Nog, I would drink it from the day after Thanksgiving when it hits the grocery store shelves ( I am talking alcohol free, the kind found in the golden carton) until Jan when the last of it is gone from the carton that was replaced weekly in my grocery order. I have given a great deal of thought to this and for the same reasons I do not want fat free creamers, too pointy and too many ingredients I do not recognize , I decided to allow myself a glass on Christmas. One full bodied glass with cinnamon sprinkled on top, when the house is quiet, the gifts unwrapped and it is just me, Michael, the cats and my tree.
What do I replace that daily egg nog with ? as it has embodied the holiday season for me, something seasonal that just kept reminding me it was Christmas time, a time to really try to see the good and share the good. A time when family spends more time together and everyone seems a little happier to be around. Giving to others comes more natural, and seeing the good in people comes a little easier.
I decided to try favored coffee, Green Mountain has a coffee called Spicy Egg Nog, I bought 4 K-kups ( I own Keurigg single brewer, it is worth more to me than my car, as I take my coffee very seriously) I brewed the cup, added my Vanilla soy milk and one splenda, sat down at the computer with my Christmas mug that I have been using since the day after Thanksgiving.
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! not for me, this will not do it, I have three K- Kups left and will probably discard as I will not even serve it to my least favorite Christmas visitor, ( not giving any names here).
I did not give up, and fortunately for me I found the coffee for me, Gingerbread, By Green Mountain. It is wonderful and with the soymilk and splenda as well, and it will get through the holidays, saving me from longing for the daily glass of Nog.
When Christmas day comes and than winds down and I am sitting in the living room in front of my tree, I will be so thankful that I did not gain 10 pounds over the past egg nog tradition, and that one glass will taste amazing and than, it will be over and I will get up on December 26th and brew my Gingerbread coffee until that Green Box is empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment