Sunday, January 9, 2011

Finding the Balance between eating and exercise


Before I got on the scale today for my weekly weigh in, I should have looked at my tracker for the week, as if I had the initial disappointment I felt would have been relief. I stayed the same this week, no loss, no gain. I was disapointed, I got off and back on, moved the scale across the room, tried again, same number. "Did my crazy scale obsession stop there? " Nope. When I was at my mom's later this morning I stripped and tried her scale as I recall a friend of mine this week was complaining that she thought my scale was wrong as when she weighs herself at hers at home she is five pounds less, the number at my mom's was the same.
I had a great week, despite what the scale says and that is where my focus should be, I worked out four times despite battling a cold that threatens to become bronchitis as that is what my colds do. This was a return to the gym after being away from the last bout of bronchitis. I am reminding myself of the dangers of me and the scale and how it is toxic for me and I have to be vigilant to not let it be the deciding factor on my success. You may recall I named my scale Roland in this post months ago The
Toxic Scale
.
So what happened this week has happened before, I worked out hard and felt great, but I was hungry, serioulsy hungry and fought the urge to eat every night before bed. Some nights I won the war and some I did not. My points for the week were high every day. I used all 49 splurge points as well as the activity points and went into the red. I could have easily gained this week, maybe I got a taste of what maintenance will be for me. I ate more, but I did not eat bad." What does that mean ? "you may ask. For me that means I added more protein as in my past I have found that sometimes helps. My white Carbs I was craving, were satisfied with baked potato, popcorn popped with canola oil, winter squash, whole grain bread, ect.
When I add exercise I need to really take time to find a balance about what and how I eat and I forgot that, luckily though I did not forget to choose what I put in my mouth carefully and by doing that, I maintained!
Taking my own advice is hard, really hard, but I do and I can, after the scale incident I looked in the mirror and told myself how nice and flat my belly looks and how much happier I am with it. I than put Roland ( Mr Scale) away until next week and after posting this I will be planning out my exercise and my meals for the week, keeping in mind to lose I need to move more and eat less. I will look at what I ate this week and where I can make the changes and I feel great about that, I have all the tools I need to find that balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment