Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Diary of a Palateau, 49 pounds and counting 11/24


per·se·ver·ance /ˌpɜrsəˈvɪərəns/ Show Spelled[pur-suh-veer-uhns] Show IPA –noun 1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
Perseverance, that is what it takes to overcome a plateau, and if you were to ask me last year if I could persevere through a whole month of no weight loss despite doing everything right, I would give you a resounding " No Way!". Today I will tell you, yes, " Yes I Can," Am I happy about it, of course not, I am disappointed, a little angry, very frustrated and even dumbfounded. No need to check my journals I know I have been eating right and I have tracked a lot of activity. I would own it, if I were cheating I would recognize that I am only cheating myself. I went on a search and it did not take me long to realize what could be the culprit. I am tracking a lot of activity, and that activity is the same every workout, and in this article 10 Reasons your not Losing weight it makes a compelling point that I need to change what my activity is and every six weeks or so.
Changing what I do at the gym is hard for me as I am in a comfort zone, I recognized that last night while watching the Biggest Loser, even before I climbed on Roland the scale, you know the inanimate object in my home that I love to hate, by the way he is leaving again today, back to my daughters, he is in danger of flying out a window ( yup, I am a little angry).
Watching the intensity that the contestants exercise at, I felt ok, as that is me I am pushing myself, I am sweating at my gym, on the treadmill, always the treadmill. Not all the hours of the day like the contestant on the BL are but that I would never do, and I love the show for inspiration and trainer tips, but that is where my comparisons stop. My comfort level is what keeps me on the treadmill, fear of the Elliptical, or fear of failing or flailing off it is more accurate. I have a fear of all the equipment that I am not familiar with there and here is where I need to be as strong in person as I am on paper, or online blogging. I need to walk inthe gym and climb on one of those bad boy foreign to me piece of gym equipment and look like I know what I am doing! Back to the old, fake it til you make it! Hmmm,,,or maybe I can be a little kinder and gentler to myself and ask one of the trainers for a quick tutorial and maybe get a price of how much they charge an hour and put a trainer package on my Christmas list. I like how I am thinking right now, and if you are still reading I am glad your here sharing my thoughts.
Back to this plateau for a minute, boy this is tough and I on the outside I can be logical and see it for what it is, but I want to recognize the way it makes me feel. There is a real feeling of, " I give up" What's the use" " It will never happen" and those feelings fuel my, I am eating whatever I want tomorrow, and will just accept that I am going to have a gain, and maybe skip the gym for awhile.
Today right now I am putting the breaks on acting on those feelings, they are just that feelings, not always logical, not based on science, they are what led me to weigh 120 pounds more than I should. I am letting myself feel them, heck I may even stomp around the house for an hour or two, I am home alone, why not, BUT I am not letting my feelings, override what I know to be true, I feel better, my health has improved drastically and I am on my way to losing 120 pounds and gaining my life back. I can practice what I preach and what I know, this is a journey and the losing the weight is the shortest part of that journey, the keeping it off entails the rest of my life, which I am thinking with all these healthy changes , will be significantly longer with these healthy changes I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment