Saturday, February 12, 2011

Against all odds

Against all odds, that is how to describe the likelihood of me working out at the gym today. I woke up sluggish, and forced myself to get outside and warm up the car for the trip to my moms. At 7:30 it dawned on me that the trash needed to get down the driveway and neither the neighbor upstairs or DBF had tended to it. It was than about 2 degrees out and I hate the cold, not just a little, I HATE THE COLD ,,a lot.
I grumbled my way out the door and for the umpteenth time this winter juggled the barrels down the icy driveway.
After the trash detail I headed off to moms and took care of her stuff and when I returned home I could not motivate myself to go back outside. I was a slug today admittedly, no ambition, and just low key, played on computer, took bubble bath, wrote out grocery list and read blogs, heck I did not even write my own blog post until now, typically it is first thing in the morning.
I had not heard back from my job interview and self doubt was setting in, I knew that one of my references had been called and it was a personal reference so I felt good about that. I knew that at 5:30 I had to leave the house to pick up granddaughter for the night. At 3:00 while laying on the couch watching my favorite soap opera, ( usually that is when I do my gym workout, watching it while I work out) it hit me, a sentence I had read on another's blog this week " What are you willing to do?" I begrudgingly got up, and slowly packed my gym bag, if I was going to work out, i needed incentive and today that incentive was a steam bath. I put on my gym clothes, grabbed my coat and gym bag and headed for the car. I negotiated the icy drive way to be accosted by a road rage driver whom was not amused that I needed to edge my way out past the large snow banks, it apparently slowed down his high speed trip home. Next was the too narrow street that had me almost impaled on a snow bank...trust me the thought of returning home was running high. Get too the gym and there is not a space to be found, and the parking lot is encumbered by large snow banks that limit the parking spaces even more. Finally I find a spot and have a car right on my Tail.....I look over my shoulder and to signal that I am taking the spot and it is an ex boyfriend of years past, I know he uses the same gym but usually I am out of there by the time he comes, in 16 years we have not spoken a word, yup that kind of ex boyfriend. I still proceed and park, and walk and can hear someone behind me, yup...the ex, I take the high road, and open the door to the gym, hold it open for him, say Hi, How are you? and answer good and walk away.
I am at the gym, I worked out and I treated myself to the steam bath............the nicest thing a cold winter can offer.
When I am all showered and dressed to leave it occurs to me, I feel good, I did the right thing. I am willing to go to the gym Against all Odds that I will not. I have been eating well this week, I took the high road and spoke to someone I would be happy to never see again, I have lost 50 something pounds and am on my way to lose 60 something more, in addition I am changing the direction of my life, interviewing for a job that I will be doing what I love things are good.
Get to my car, voicemail, listen, call back,,,,,, I have the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment